I had a really productive and full day in the studio today.
Here's where I started:
On this piece I needed to a) saw out the windows in second layer of silver (you can see the starter holes I've drilled...this is where I insert the tiny saw blade), b) file the pierced areas so they are more uniform and so they don't look so much like misshapen embryos, and c) give the surface an initial sanding.
OK, so here is the freshly sawn second layer.
The saw template is still attached and the sawn edges are still really rough.
Below I've got two layers stacked to line everything up and get an idea of what's left to do.
Still need to drill holes in the "spokes" areas, and file the windows to smooth things out.
Also the holes in the top layer still need lots of detailed sawing done.
You can see several of my metal files at the top of this shot...they're really narrow compared to what people generally think of when talking about this category of tool.
Each has a different profile and they are able to get into really tight spaces.
And finally, the layers stacked again.
Not completely done just yet, but where I stopped for today.
I'll be back again really soon...I've got a really productive weekend planned for the studio!
And the "more soon" update that I promised. I spent the weekend in the studio sawing and filing...lots and lots of sawing and filing. I'm hoping to get these pieces done by the end of the month. I've got both front plates sawn and the initial filing done on both as well. Here's a peek at where we are so far:
I'll be doing some resin work during this week, so not much to look at I'm afraid, but my hands will be back on the metal this weekend. I'll update again when I have made some visible signs of progress. Have a great week!